I'm sure this has been noded elsewhere... hell, I've probably put it somewhere myself. Maybe it should be filed under Ok, here's the thing, please don't fucking do this. Regardless, a piece of advice for people noding quotes and lyrics...

Get The Quote Right

This might be my first rant node, but this is something that really bugs me. If you're noding a quote from a movie, transcribe it from the actual movie. Don't rely on your own memory... human memory is associative and prone to fucking up. And certainly don't rely on the Internet. Scripts posted on the Internet are often rough drafts or poorly done transcripts. The IMDB has tons of incorrect quotes, too, and it's nearly impossible to get any of them changed. The IMDB has a guide, which is for the most part ignored by its contributors. But in that guide is the following example:

Which is the correct quote from Casablanca?

  • All the gin joints in all the towns in all the world and she walks into mine.
  • All the lousy gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
  • Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she has to walk into mine.
  • Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

    If you don't know the answer, DON'T NODE IT. Add it to your home node, write it down on a piece of paper, whatever. Then go back and verify it with the source. The same goes for song lyrics. If I had a nickle for every song lyric from the Internet that was just flat-out wrong... let's just say I'd have a lot of nickels. Without pointing any fingers, a good number of song lyrics on E2 are flat-out wrong as well, noded by well-meaning people who just didn't take the time to get it right. Get the lyrics, and then listen to the song to compare the two. Or type them from the liner notes... none of this cut-and-paste-from-Geocities crap. Hey, you're noding on E2... it's not like you don't have spare time.

    Thank you and good day.

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.