Being a psychology major and, at the time, attending a large university, I found it amusing to do things in the elevator that would make people uncomfortable. Usually these were little things:
  • Standing with my nose almost touching the doors
  • Leaning against the doors
  • Facing the back
  • Invading the other riders space
  • Pushing all the buttons before anyone else gets on then blaming the people who just got off (even if there wasn't anyone)

Basically breaking every rule of elevator etiquette I could.

As fun as this is, one time I actually had a cooperating passenger. I was in the lift in the library when I felt it slow prior to my floor. I turned and stood facing the corner of the small stainless steel box, like I was in time-out. Two people got on, the first took one look at me then went and stood in the other corner, much to my delight. The second person, who evidently did not know the first, became extremely uncomfortable standing unusually close to the doors and fidgeting anxiously. She got off at the next floor.

When she was gone I introduced myself to my unnamed accomplice, and we congratulated ourselves on a job well done. The great part about this event was that I was not in the minority. The "odd one," at least numerically, was the person who knew she was "normal," yet she was outnumbered. I can only imagine the feedback loop that was going on inside her little brain.

The best one I heard about was when some of the sociology students had a picnic in the over-sized elevators of the social behavioral sciences building.


See also- elevator etiquette

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.