Ex*pose" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Exposed(?); p. pr. & vb. n. Exposing.] [F. exposer; pref. ex- (L. ex out)+poser to place. See Pose, v. t.]

1.

To set forth; to set out to public view; to exhibit; to show; to display; as, to expose goods for sale; to expose pictures to public inspection.

Those who seek truth only, freely expose their principles to the test, and are pleased to have them examined. Locke.

2.

To lay bare; to lay open to attack, danger, or anything objectionable; to render accessible to anything which may affect, especially detrimentally; to make liable; as, to expose one's self to the heat of the sun, or to cold, insult, danger, or ridicule; to expose an army to destruction or defeat.

Expose thyself to feel what wretches feel. Shak.

3.

To deprive of concealment; to discover; to lay open to public inspection, or bring to public notice, as a thing that shuns publicity, something criminal, shameful, or the like; as, to expose the faults of a neighbor.

You only expose the follies of men, without arraigning their vices. Dryden.

4.

To disclose the faults or reprehensible practices of; to lay open to general condemnation or contempt by making public the character or arts of; as, to expose a cheat, liar, or hypocrite.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ex`po`sé" (?), n. [F., prop.p.p. of exposer. See Expose, v. t.]

A formal recital or exposition of facts; exposure, or revelation, of something which some one wished to keep concealed.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.