1. What is your name?

I go by "Jay".

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately?

I'm a California boy who was transplanted to Nashville, Tennessee when he was young and stayed there until he realized the world was bigger. Most of my personal backstory can be gleaned from some of my write-ups and daylogs. Lately I've been working as a soldier in the United States Army, stationed in Belgium after a 1-year deployment in Afghanistan. I haven't written anything of significant interest in years, but I check in on my E2 account from time to time, mostly to reminisce.

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

A young woman I was dating introduced me to it many, many years ago. At first it was simply a way for me to get closer to her, to understand who she was and what inspired her. After a while, though, I found that I had my own voice and I wanted it to be heard, or read as the case may be. It all kind of became about what I wanted to say to the world, either in the form of fiction or daylogs, and less about getting to know her. I have long since lost track of her, don't have a clue what she's up to these days, but I still keep my relationship with E2 alive. Even if just barely.

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

My favorite writeup of my own would be a toss-up between "You're not my son" and "Halcion." It's been so long since I was a regular visitor and contributor to E2 that I've forgotten which ones were my favorite. I do recall reading some mighty good stuff, though, in years gone by. Perhaps I should reacquaint myself anew?

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

I went to a pretty big noder-meet in New Orleans back in 2001, about a month after the Sept. 11th attacks. During that time it was a true rarity to find myself going out and having fun with a large group of people, but I somehow managed it. I wish I'd developed stronger bonds with the people I met back then. Alas, I've always been a sort of loner and a bit of a social recluse. My least favorite E2-related memory was some of the stuff that came about shortly after that noder-meet, which led to me being engaged in a rescue mission for a friend. Those were wild, complex and thread-bare days which I am glad to have put behind me.

6. What keeps you coming back?

Curiosity, mostly. More often than not I just poke my nose in to see how my past w/u's are doing and to see if there are any messages awaiting me.

7. What do you hope for E2's future?

I hope that it continues. I hope that it becomes more streamlined without losing its charm and uniqueness. I hope that it grows without getting swallowed up by... something bigger and less personable.

8. What does E2 mean to you?

E2 has always been, to me, an outlet for ideas. I've frequently referred to it thus: "If Wikipedia is an informational database, then E2 is a database of the human experience. Facts are found within, but the true gems are found in HOW those facts are shared, be it couched in fiction or blandly delivered like a school paper. E2 is for the discriminating geek who wants his world-view to grow in bite-sized chunks that taste sweet, like brain candy."

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

I miss Bitca a lot. She's crossed my mind over the years. We knew each other as friends a long time ago and we lost touch. I hope Life is treating her well.

10. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

A slightly chubby, younger-looking Anthony Perkins, perhaps? I don't know. With my shaved pate and middle-age overtaking my body, it's not easy for me to play that game anymore.

11. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world."

Mark Twain.

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

Yeah. "Would you have done it differently on E2? If so, how?"

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact NightShadow or Jet-Poop.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.