Sitting about a mile from Manhattan, in New York Harbor, Ellis Island is part of The Statue of Liberty National Monument.

It operated as the main immigration point for the United States from 1892 through 1954, processing over 12 million immigrants. Ironically, during World War II it operated as a detention center for enemy aliens.

In 1990, the main building reopened as a museum dedicated to the history of immigration. Also housed in the museum is a research library and a oral history collection, which includes over 1,000 taped and transcribed interviews of actual Ellis Island immigrants and staff.

Log in or registerto write something here or to contact authors.