Before the United States Mint was even ten years old, it had already produced silver coins with three separate designs. The Flowing Hair design of the half dollar was replaced in 1796 by another obverse design by Robert Scot - the Draped Bust design. (The reverse of the coin was designed by John Eckstein.)

The coin's obverse features a portrait of a woman (presumably Lady Liberty, most likely Mrs. William Bingham) facing right, flanked by a total of fifteen stars - seven on the right and eight on the left. "LIBERTY" is printed just above the woman's head, and the mint year at the bottom. The coin's reverse depicts an eagle standing atop a cloud, encircled by a wreath of olive and palm. "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" circles the reverse. This design, already familiar to the mint, is shared with the Half Dimes, the Dimes, the Quarters, and the Dollars of the same period.

The design lasted until 1807, with a modification in 1801 changing the reverse to display a different eagle. The eagle clenches an "E PLURIBUS UNUM" ribbon in its beak, and a union shield appears on the eagle's breast. The traditional arrows and olive branches are within the eagle's claws.

The Draped Bust design (for all denominations) was abandoned in 1807.


United States Coinage

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.