"President Bush and I share the belief that governments don’t create wealth and prosperity: people do. It is government’s role to create the right conditions in which America’s workers and businesses will flourish,"1

In 1946, Donald Evans was born in Houston Texas and would attend the University of Texas at Austin where he earned a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering . In 1973, Evans would earn his MBA from the same school. During his summers and other times off school, Evans would work for a Texas steel mill.

In 1975, Evans started his career with Tom Brown INC. in Midland Texas. Tom Brown INC is a large independent energy company. As Evans' career progressed he moved from a roughneck up to CEO in just 10 short years. Evans maintained his position until President Bush asked him to lead the Commerce Department.

Prior to his service as Secretary, Mr. Evans served in other areas. In 1995, then Governor Bush appointed him to the Board of Regents of the University of Texas. In 1997, he was elected Chairman of the Board and then served two terms. Evans has also served on the board of the Scleroderma Research Foundation for over eight years and helped with Native Vision, which is a program for Native American children. Evans has also been a member of United Way and has served as the president of the Midland branch. Because of his public work and service, the University of South Carolina awarded Evans an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters. In November of 2002, Evans was made a member of the Univeristy of Texas Red McCombs School of Business Hall of Fame.

Information taken from http://www.commerce.gov/bios/evans_bio.html including the quote at the beginning. Other sources include http://www.usembassy.de/usa/etexts/gov/biograph/commerce.htm and http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/evans-bio.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.