Depoe Bay is a small town in Lincoln County, Oregon, between Newport and Lincoln City. As the name suggests, it is located on the Oregon Coast, around the eponymous geographical feature of Depoe Bay. According to the 2020 Census, it had a population of 1515 people, which makes it a medium-sized town for the Oregon coast.

Depoe Bay's most noteworthy feature is Depoe Bay Harbor, advertised as "The World's Smallest Harbor". While I don't know if there is a single definition to decide the size of a harbor (and indeed, by coincidence (?), the nearby D River, claimed to be the shortest river in the world, has had problems with the ambiguities of definition), the harbor of Depoe Bay is very small, around 800 by 400 feet, or about the size of four football fields. The harbor is connected to Depoe Bay by a 400 foot long, 50-100 foot wide channel through sheer cliffs. (Incidentally, while it is natural to think of the interior body of water as "Depoe Bay", it is properly "Depoe Bay Harbor", with the more open outside body of water being "Depoe Bay" proper). Depoe Bay is an excellent place for whale watching, and many of the vessels that use Depoe Bay Harbor are used for such excursions.

Like large parts of the Oregon Coast, the area around Depoe Bay is rocky and full of sheer cliffs, which makes for dramatic scenery. There are practically no accessible sandy beaches in Depoe Bay. But the scenery by itself is a very large draw, because there are many tourist businesses and resorts in the city. There are many places to get seafood and kites and candy. However, like many places on the Oregon Coast, it is much easier to visit than to live in, and although it has a big share of fun places for tourists, it is a small town that lacks some basic services. Still, that is true of a lot of places, and it shouldn't discourage anyone from stopping and enjoying the scenery.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.