I admit it, I was tempted to name this node "Dunkin' Donuts: the hidden superpower".

Consider this: every nutrition table will tell you that 100g of cookies pack about 500 kcal. This is a fact that can be quickly checked: grab a packet of Oreos and you'll see that I'm right.

Now, grab a hand grenade and read the calories per serving, or (in case you're fresh out of high explosives) read the excellent megaton writeup by pfft: 1 megaton = 10^12 grams of TNT = 10^15 calories = 10^12 kcal = 10^12 Calories.

(The Encyclopædia Britannica actually lists a lower value, about 0.7 kcal per 1g of TNT; spurred by my endless curiosity I discovered that the easy-to-remember equivalence 1g of TNT = 1 kcal is simply a convention agreed upon by nuclear superpowers, so that nobody is cheating by considering the wildly varying yield of actual TNT).

Numbers don't lie. Would you rather stand next to a bomb with a lighted fuse, or next to several cups of Death by Chocolate?

...

Let me rephrase that.

On average, desserts should be more dangerous - weight by weight, they have five times more calories than explosives. Of course, the dangers of too much chocolate are an expanded waistline and becoming invisible to the other sex, while the danger of, say, a dynamite stick is that they'll have trouble identifying you by your teeth.

The trick here is that the stored energy is released in a couple of milliseconds for TNT, whereas food needs to be digested over several hours, usually with less noise.

Now you can start advertising low-yield diets, or asking for half a kiloton of ice cream, but please don't go around robbing banks with sticks of toffee. It's probably illegal.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.