Camels often sit down carefully, perhaps their joints creak. Proactive early oiling might prevent permanent hurting.


Mnemonic device for remembering the proper order of geologic periods/epochs.
The first sentence refers to the periods within the Paleozoic and Mesozoic eras. The second sentence refers to the epochs within the Tertiary and Quaternary periods, which are contained within the Cenozoic era.


Variation: "...prevent permanent rheumatism", with "Recent" instead of Holocene.

 


Since the Ediacaran Period was officially added (before the Cambrain) to the calendar of Earth's geological history in May 2004, perhaps the mnemonic should be pre-pended with an "E" word:

Possible modification: "Elderly camels often sit down carefully, perhaps their joints creak. Proactive early oiling might prevent permanent hurting."

The Ediacaran Period is the last (only named?) Period of the Neoproterozoic Era, A span of time commonly referred to with the catch-all phrase "Pre-Cambrian". 


Yet another update - 28 Jan 2008

Geologists from the Geological Society of London are arguing in the February 2008 issue of GSA Today, the publication of the Geological Society of America, that the last two hundred years of industrialization and intensive farming have changed soils, climate and the biosphere in ways that will be clearly evident to future geologists who dig into the surface and study the layers of soil. Their proposal is to call the new epoch the 'Anthropocene Age' (anthropo = human; cene = new).

Possible modification: "Elderly camels often sit down carefully, perhaps their joints creak. Proactive early oiling might prevent permanent horrible aching."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.