Democratic Senator from North Dakota

Senator Dorgan was born May 14, 1942 in Regent, North Dakota. His family worked in the farm equipment and petroleum business and raised cattle and horses. He graduated from Regent High School, one of nine in his graduating class.

The senator and his wife Kim Dorgan have four children, Scott, Shelly (deceased), Brenden and Haley.

He graduated from the University of North Dakota in 1965 and went on to earn his Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Denver. He later worked for a Denver-based aerospace firm.

In 1969, at age 26 he was appointed State Tax Commissioner by the Governor. He was then re-elected to two more terms in 1972, and 1976. He served 11 years as tax commissioner, followed by 12 years in the U.S. House of Representatives before being elected to the U.S. Senate in 1992.

Senator Dorgan holds various key leadership positions within his party. He is the chairman of the Democratic Policy Committee, Assistant Democratic Leader for Policy, and Assistant Democratic Floor Leader, ex-officio.

His Committees:

His website and contact info is at www.senate.gov/~dorgon

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.