Black Squirrel Radio is an online radio station run by students of Kent State University, broadcasting exclusively on the Web and campus television. Previously known as WKSR, the station's name was changed in 2005 due to a legal conflict with WKSR-FM, the broadcast station in Pulaski, TN using the same call letters. The name "Black Squirrel Radio" was decided by students because of the school's unofficial mascot, the black squirrel.

Since the name change, Black Squirrel Radio has been expanding the breadth of its content. The main formats of music are Urban, Rock and Local Music. It also features many specialty shows which range from Country to Broadway Tunes to Heavy Metal. Included in our programming is Black Squirrel Radio News and Sports. The news can be heard quarter til and quarter past the hour. BSR's live sports programs caught the attention of ESPN.com, prompting them to call Black Squirrel Radio "the most comprehensive college radio station in America."

BSR has live DJs from 8 am to 2 am every day of the week. There are more than 150 students involved with the radio station. It is overseen by faculty from Kent State University's Journalism and Mass Communication program.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.