The birch, in the betula genus, is a deciduous tree or shrub which prefers wet riparian areas. Birches are usually found along creeks and can come in many forms, from tall trees to shrubs with small leaves. Many have beautiful white bark, as in European White Birch. Although birches are beautiful in nature, they often do poorly in landscapes, especially in hot dry areas. it is sad to see many dead white birches in davis because people dont understand how to care for them. If you want a birch be prepared to give it lots of water. And dont plant it on a little mound.. it looks cool but tends to cause them to die becuase it is harder for them to reach water. Remember, birches naturally grow right next to creeks, so keep them always wet.

Birch (?), n.; pl. Birches (#). [OE. birche, birk, AS. birce, beorc; akin to Icel. bjork, Sw. bjork, Dan. birk, D. berk, OHG. piricha, MHG. birche, birke, G. birke, Russ. bereza, Pol. brzoza, Serv. breza, Skr. bhrja. &root;254. Cf. 1st Birk.]

1.

A tree of several species, constituting the genus Betula; as, the white or common birch (B. alba) (also called silver birch and lady birch); the dwarf birch (B. glandulosa); the paper or canoe birch (B. papyracea); the yellow birch (B. lutea); the black or cherry birch (B. lenta).

2.

The wood or timber of the birch.

3.

A birch twig or birch twigs, used for flogging.

⇒ The twigs of the common European birch (B. alba), being tough and slender, were formerly much used for rods in schools. They were also made into brooms.

The threatening twigs of birch. Shak.

4.

A birch-bark canoe.

Birch of Jamaica, a species (Bursera gummifera) of turpentine tree. -- Birch partridge. Zool. See Ruffed grouse. -- Birch wine, wine made of the spring sap of the birch. -- Oil of birch. (a) An oil obtained from the bark of the common European birch (Betula alba), and used in the preparation of genuine (and sometimes of the imitation) Russia leather, to which it gives its peculiar odor. (b) An oil prepared from the black birch (B. lenta), said to be identical with the oil of wintergreen, for which it is largely sold.

 

© Webster 1913.


Birch, a.

Of or pertaining to the birch; birchen.

 

© Webster 1913.


Birch, v. t. [imp & p. p. Birched (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Birching.]

To whip with a birch rod or twig; to flog.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.