British standup comedian who also specialises in musical comedy.

Amongst the many highlights of his act is the Cockney influence on classical music and the Belgian jazz version of Doctor Who (Doctor Qui if you were wondering).

A lot of his comedy affectionately makes fun of science fiction and progressive rock. As well as having his own BBC show (which isn't anywhere as good as his live act), he has appeared in the series Spaced and Black Books.

A album has recently been released called Bewilderness which contains many of his live favourites.

Born in Bath, Somerset as Mark Bailey in 1964.

Although he is best known for his unique brand of surrealist comedy and music, Bill Bailey has also made a name for himself in acting and presenting both in film and television. He was a team captain with Craig Charles on the comedy sci-fi quiz show Space Cadets, hosted by Greg Proops and more recently appeared alongside Brenda Blethyn in the film Saving Grace as well as his more popular roles of Bilbo Bagshot in Spaced and Manny in Black Books, co-starring alongside his once-Perrier award competitor Dylan Moran.

"Nowhere is his virtuosity so literally apparent, however, than on stage, alone, surrounded by the extraordinary array of instruments that he can claim to have mastered; peddling his tightly shambolic, fiercely intelligent and frequently bizarre blend of musical messing and surreal silliness."
- Time Out

Awards
1999: Best Live Stand-up (British Comedy Awards)
1996: Perrier Nomination*
1996: Festival Critics Award
1995: Time Out Comedy Award

* He was the media favorite to win but came second to Dylan Moran in the closest final result of the Perrier Awards history.

Instruments Played
Piano, keyboards, organ, guitar (electric and acoustic), percussion and drums.

Some People Say
"Hugely funny... highly talented." - Time Out
"Excellent one-liners... very, very funny." - Evening Standard
"Frequently hilarious... and a damn good guitarist." - The Guardian

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.