A merit badge
for Boy scouts
. This is not a required badge for Eagle
. Taken from meritbadge.com:
- Do ONE of the following:
- Develop a time line of significant history of the American labor movement from the
1770's to today.
- Prepare an exhibit or a scrapbook illustrating three major achievements of the American
- In 500 words or more, write about one of the founders of organized labor in the United
- In 500 words or more, write how the work force fits into the economic system of the
- Check with some news sources where you live -- public library, federal, state, county,
or municipal employment office; labor union office -- for information about working people
and their concerns. Discuss your findings with your counselor.
- Discuss with your counselor how you would lead a discussion on the subject of worker
concerns about job-related issues. Issues should be related to the workplace (safety, job
assignments, seniority, wages, child care, etc.).
- With the help of your counselor, prepare an exhibit or scrapbook illustrating ONE of the
- Issues that concern American workers
- Federal and state labor laws showing how these laws affect American
- Current issues you have learned about from a national union or employee group
- Visit the office or attend a meeting of a local union, an AFL-CIO labor council, or an
independent employee organization. Talk with some people there and find out what the
organization does. Draw a diagram of the organizational structure of the association you
visited from the local to the national level, if applicable.
- Be prepared to define and discuss some of the key terms used in labor relations.
- With help from your counselor, determine some of the basic rights and responsibilities
that members of unions, employee organizations, and those not belonging to a collective
- With help from your counselor, chart a comparison of wages, benefits, and working
conditions in a union shop and a nonunion shop in the same industry.
- Discuss why it is important to maintain good relationships among business, labor, and
government. Describe to your counselor what can happen when these relationships get out of
- Discuss with your counselor the different goals that may exist with owners of a
business, its stockholders, its customers, its employees, the employees' representatives,
the community, and public officials. Explain why agreements and compromises are made and
how they affect each group in attaining its goals.