Advanced Gravis Computer Technology, known as Advanced Gravis or merely as Gravis, was the forerunner in developing non-joystick game controllers for the PC format.

Most notable was the Gravis Gamepad. The Gamepad was a knock-off of the Super Nintendo controller design, distinguished by an ergonomic "bone" shape and 4 colored buttons (without the two shoulder buttons). It used the standard Joystick Port format (which appears to be a smaller parallel port, and which was usually a facet of old sound cards) Later, the gamepad was also developed for the Mac and Amiga formats.

Unique to the gamepad was the ability to flip a switch on the top of the controller and toggle the handedness of the controller (a clever function rarely implemented in console or pc controller designs). Also, another switch allowed the 4 buttons to be turned into a 2 button controller with a rapid fire mode.

The Gravis Gamepad was ideal for non-flight sim games, as it's d-pad is digital and not analog. Side-scrolling platformers, (pre-mouselook) First Person Shooters and other games that don't require precise and varying range of movements.

Some games for which the Gravis Gamepad was perfect:

Advanced Gravis (in conjunction with budget PC peripheral manufacturer Kensington) is still developing joysticks and gamepads based on popular console designs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.