The nickname given to EMI Studios London, located at 3 Abbey Road, London, England. Abbey Road was built in the Thirties, and since then has stayed at the top of the recording world, as agruably the best studio on Earth. Abbey Road is composed of Three Studios, a penthouse, and mobile recording units. "It's much bigger on the inside than the outside!"

Studio One:

One the largest symphonic recording studios in the world. It has 4876 square feet (456 square metres) of floor space, amazing acoustics and enough room for a full symphony orchestra and a chorus of 120.

Studio One has been the location for many movie soundtrack recordings. It features surround sound monitoring, video facilities and a 44 foot screen for 35mm projection. Soundtracks for the movies "Raiders Of The Lost Ark", "Braveheart", "Lost In Space" and "Star Wars - The Phantom Menace" are among the many recorded in Studio One.

Studio Two:

This studio is argurably the most famous studio in the world. The legendary acoustics reflect sound with a unique character that many have tried to copy, but the studio again proves on top.

Studio Two has 2045 square feet (190 square metres) of floor space. This is ideal for live band playing. The studio can accommodate 55 musicians which makes it well suited to orchestral overdubs or small-scale film scoring sessions.

The Control Room is built on a seperate level overlooking the studio. It was rebuilt in 1996.

Studio Three:

Studio Three recently underwent refurbishment.

Its newly equipped control room is designed around the newly installed SSL 9000 J series, 96 channel desk. As London’s largest J series the desk gives greater flexibility in the ways that the studio can operate. The console is fully equipped for both stereo and 5.1 surround mixing and includes Abbey Road custom modifications. The central unit houses a comprehensive range of outboard equipment with plenty of space for more if required.

The reasons for Studio Three’s popularity extend beyond its technical abilities. As well as the Control Room and recording areas, the studio houses a luxury self-contained kitchen and lounge with cable TV, Hi-Fi and a DVD surround set up, allowing total privacy and maximum comfort.

Its ceiling is 23.45 feet (7.15 metre) high, and there is 807 square feet (75 square metres) of floor space, Studio Three accommodates a separate vocal booth, a gallery, variable acoustics and a spacious main recording area large enough for fifteen musicians.

Abbey Road is also famous because of who recorded there. Musicians indlude Pink Floyd, Radiohead, David Bowie, and most famously, The Beatles, who named their 1969 final album after the studios, and the infamous cover photo taken on August 8, 1969 is copied by visitors, sort of a pilgramage, which many fans (including myself) have ventured on.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.