In the year 1066...
- Norwegian king Harold III and Tostig, the exiled earl of Northumbria, invade Northern England, but are defeated by the English King, Harold II, and the Battle of Stamford Bridge.
- William of Normandy invades England from the south, landing at Pevensey. King Harold rushes down from the north to turn him back but is defeated at the Battle of Hastings. William is crowned King William I of England on December 25.
- Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV dismisses his regent, Archbishop Adalbert of Hamburg-Bremen, taking power over Germany into his own hands.
- Alp Arslan, the Seljuk Sultan of Persia, attacks the Byzantine Empire, having already overrun Armenia and Georgia.
- Chinese historian Sima Guang begins his monumental Zizhi Tongjian ("the comprehensive mirror for aid in government"), an exhaustive integrated history of China from 403 BC to AD 959.
These people were born in 1066:
These people died in 1066:
1065 - 1066 - 1067