Return to 10 commandments for intellectual independence (idea)

[Bertrand Russell], a prominent 20th century [philosopher] (particularly for his work in [analytic philosophy] and [logic]) made this highly interesting list of [commandments] for [intellectual] [independence].
  1. Do not feel certain of [anything].

  2. Do not feel it's [worthwhile] to hold on to a [belief] by concealing contrary [evidence], for that [evidence] will surely come to light.

  3. Never discourage [thinking] (in a [philosophical] sense.)

  4. Overcome opposition via [argument], not [force]. A victory based upon force is [unreal] and [illusionary].

  5. Have no respect for the [authority] of others, for there will always be counter-authorities.

  6. Don't use [force] to [suppress] [opinions] which you think are dangerous, for if you do they will surely [suppress] you.

  7. Don't fear being [different] and [eccentric], for every [mainstream] idea was at one time [eccentric] and [different].

  8. Find [pleasure] in [intelligent], not [passive], [agreement].

  9. Be scrupulously [truthful], even when the truth is [inconvenient], for it is always more [inconvenient] when you try to conceal truth.

  10. Don't feel [envious] of the [happiness] of those living in a [fool's paradise], for only a [fool] would see it as true happiness.
Ah, the kind of things you find out in [philosophy] courses! [What I do with my philosophy degree|Perhaps a philosophy degree is worth something, after all!]
Existing:


Non-Existing: