Return to Make your keyboard's "Windows Keys" into "Super" shift keys for (X)Emacs (idea)

If you've [defenestrate]d [your computer], you're doubtlessly annoyed that you now have 2 useless "[Windows key]s" on your [keyboard]. Come to think of it, you probably don't know [What your keyboard's "Windows keys" do in Windows|what they do on Windows]! But if you're using [XFree86] (as supplied with [Linux], [FreeBSD], [NetBSD] and maybe even [Solaris x86]), you can make use of them!

Make up a file named .xmodmaprc in your [home directory], and insert these lines into it:

! Set up "super" keys on PC keyboards
keycode 115 = Super_L
keycode 116 = Super_R
add mod4 = Super_L Super_R
Run "xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc", or (even better) arrange in your [.xsession] or [.xinitrc] to run this command every time you start [X]. Now the 2 windows keys will generate "Super" shift codes. But how can you use them?

Well, recall that [Emacs] stands for "[Escape] [Meta] [Alt] [Control] [Super]" ([hyper] shift is also sometimes defined). Surely you have some use for doubling the number of key combinations!

For instance, I usually bind "Super-z" to iconify-emacs, rebinding "Control-z" to iconify-frame. None of the super-keys are bound by default, so they're all free for you to use!

Note: Some keyboards may generate different codes; use [xev] to check if yours is one of them (run the program, move the [mouse] [cursor] to the window, and press each of the keys several times, observing the output to know the keycode. Substitute these values for "115" and "116" above.

Existing:


Non-Existing: