The Grand Ole Opry is a radio show. It is the world's longest running live radio show, having been in continuous existence since November 28, 1925. That's the date that George D Hay a 30 year old radio announcer who called himself "The Solemn Old Judge" launched a show called the WSM Barn Dance. It was broadcast from an empty room on the fifth floor of the National Life & Accident Insurance Company building in Nashville, Tennessee. The first guest was Uncle Jimmy Thompson, an 80 year old fiddler who supposedly knew over a thousand fiddle rounds. The show became very popular and quickly outgrew the small studio it was first recorded in. Fans flocked to see the radio show performed live, and the show moved to a succession of venues, attempting to fit them all in. By 1943, the crowds were averaging 3000 a day, and the show was moved to the Ryman Auditorium, a building built in 1892 which had perfect acoustics and quite a history of interesting events. (Commodore Peary, John Phillip Sousa, Teddy and Eleanor Roosevelt, Carrie Nation, and Jim Key the educated horse were but a few of the featured performers there). In 1974 the Opry moved to its current home, the 4400 seat Grand Ole Opry where it still remains.

NBC carried the Opry beginning in 1939. Since that time hundreds of artists have performed there, some as newly rising stars and others as already established legends. Cast members past and present include Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton, Pam Tillis, Vince Gill, Emmylou Harris and most names in country music today. TNN broadcasts a television show of one of the weekly performances each Saturday night. The Grand Ole Opry seems to be still going strong