A Studio Ghibli film released in 1991. Directed by Isao Takahata and produced my Hayao Miyazaki. Japanese title "Omoide poroporo"

The film is set in two different periods of the life of Taeko Okajima- while the main story is set in 1982 and revolves around Taeko's decision to leave Tokyo to live in Yamagata, much of the story takes place in Taeko's memories of 1966, when she was 10. Based on a manga by Hotaru Okamoto, which was about Taeko's childhood.

Although I find it hard to say exactly why, I find it to be my favorite Ghibli movie, probably due to the fact that it takes real places (The story is set in Tokyo and Yamagata in modern times, there is no "hammerspace" and the laws of physics are normal) and very commonplace issues (growing up and memories thereof, also farming and nature) and reveals the beauty in them. It is not a very action-paced story, rather it is a realistic and subtle drama- probably the most violent thing that happened in the entire movie was when Taeko was slapped by her father by going out of the house without shoes on. What you learn about is flower picking and dye making, elementary school baseball games and Summer vacation. It is a fascinating movie- the ending makes me cry every time.

Currently has not been commercially released in the US, and it is uncertain if/when it will be, but it is definitely worth seeing if one can find it playing at a movie house somewhere.