The best sleepy-herb of them all. For use when you just don't want to wake up, or just can't get to sleep.

Empirical evidence says that females most often find the scent of the ground root repulsive, whereas males find it to have a less-unpleasant, musky scent.

Peterson's Field Guide to Eastern/Central Medicinal Plants says, "Perennial, 4-5 ft. Leaves strongly divided, pinnate; lower ones toothed. Tiny, pale pink to whitish flowers, in tight clusters; June-July. Where Found: Escaped, along roadsides, especially in ne. U.S. Que., Me. to N.J., Pa.; Ohio to Minn. Alien (from Europe). "

Goes on to say, "A well-known herbal calmative, antispasmodic, nerve tonic, used for hypochondria, nervous headaches, irritability, insomnia, (yadayada...). Active components are called valepotriates. Research has confirmed that teas, tinctures, and/or extracts of this plant (woolfish note: particularly of root) are CNS-depressant, antispasmodic, and sedative when agitation is present, but also stimulant in fatigue; antibacterial, antidiuretic, liver-protective. Valerian is a leading OTC tranquilizer in Europe. Cats are said to be attracted to the scent of the root as they are to Catnip. Folklore says the root repels rats."

Incidentally, I kept a particularly high-strung friend doped up on this all through Europe, and it kept her culture-shock at bay while leaving her communicative and otherwise functional. Sometimes good as a last ditch effort against menstrual cramps, you'll get floppy if you take alot. Unlike most of the other herbal sedatives, it is counter-indicative for stomach and gas pains, especially for sufferers of chronic gastric problems such as irritable bowel syndrome.