Last night was fun.

The day began as most Saturdays do for me: lazily. In the afternoon. I spent some time writing code, playing games, watching TV. In the evening, I decided to rent some movies.

In what was perhaps an attempt to relive the desperate and immature humor of my middle school years (and because I'd never seen it), I rented Beavis and Butthead Do America. I also rented Erin Brockovich, because Steven Soderbergh is one of my all-time favorite directors and, believe it or not, I'd never seen that either.

Halfway through Beavis and Butthead (which was actually quite genuinely funny, now that I'm seeing it for more than just the lame adolescent boy humor), Tabor and Lillis (my roommates) came home and reminded me about a party at Sara's house. This was around 12am.

So I zipped over to Sara's house. There was indeed a party. I spent a good three hours there, enjoying the company of friends. Around 3am, Carlson suggested we all go get pie. This was a very good idea, and as anyone who knows me will testify, I will never turn down an opportunity to eat pie.

So the five of us who remained at the party (myself, Carlson, Loren, Sara, and Steven) piled into my car and headed to the 24-hour Thriftway grocery store. We bought three pies -- Dutch Apple, Banana Cream, and Key Lime. We also dropped Steven off at his house, since it was close and he decided he was tired.

At this point we all decided that it would not be in the spirit of things to merely eat the pie at someone's house. So we drove out into the country, blindly exploring backroads until we found a rocky turnoff. I parked here, and we hiked a hundred yards or so, in the dark clear night, through a hay field.

After clearing out a nice spot on a hill, we sat and ate pie and talked and watched the meteor shower. All in all, it was a beautiful night. Carlson proposed that we make this a weekly ritual, and I don't think anyone disagreed, but it later occurred to me that scheduled spontaneity just isn't the same as the real thing.

In any case, when I got home at 7am after we watched the sunrise, I was happy.