A small but important point.

Evolution is not necessarily `hardware specific', i.e. there is nothing in classical darwinism that binds the adaptive mechanism to DNA or even biology. That was just the instance demanding explanation.

Everything evolves. As well as the ubiquitious memes, there are everything from economies, societies, operating systems to immune systems. And not just in a metaphorical sense. See transhumanism for radical speculation.

Where this leaves us shielded DNA vehicles I don't know. We'll start by identifying and repairing very obvious and clear-cut genetic disorders (e.g. cystic fibrosis, phenylketonuria). After that it gets tricky. Cure myopia? Why not? Obesity? Guess so. Acne? Umm.. Height? Wonky teeth? Depression..? What about all those depressed poets and artists?

This is going to be the hardest thing, i.e. where to draw the line. See Gattaca for a vivid illustration of this.

A `perfect' race of super-intelligent, beautiful, healthy clones will never exist because anyone with any intelligence at all will realise that this scenario would resemble hell, or at least Sweden. Such a lack of diversity would make our DNA brittle and our Culture and Life incredibly weak, bland and hideously boring.

Evolution is not dead: it's just shifting it's focus.