The similarity to "ectopia" must be accidental, because it's too apt.

Ecotopia, with two 'o's, is the greconeologistic title of a didactic novel by Ernest Callenbach, first published in 1975 (when else?). By way of an excuse Callenbach tells us that eco- is from the Greek oikos, "home", and -topia is from the equally Greek topos, "place". He's thinking of St. Thomas More's coinage of "utopia", and probably hoping to get his own coinage into equally wide use.

The premise is that the Pacific Northwest (Washington state, Oregon, northern California) have seceded from the Union and set up a Small Is Beautiful-style crunchy granola utopia. Virtually everything is sustainable, recycled, and biodegradable; most things are communal as well. There are no private motor vehicles and few public ones.

It's presented as the journal of a journalist from the remaining United States, the first to visit after twenty years of isolation following secession.

Where it gets annoying is in the way everybody's so, like, real, man. Nobody's got any hang-ups, nobody's uptight, everybody just lets it all hang out. The Ecotopians all "do their own thing" all the time, but since they're not uptight or hung-up, they all freely choose to do exactly what the author thinks everybody should be doing anyway. AARRGGHH! There's an intolerably smug earnestness to it all.

Ecotopia is a period piece, and I enjoyed it immensely until the rising tide of malignant grooviness covered my nostrils and I had to flee.

Amusingly, some people are still talking about the Pacific Northwest seceding, but they no longer seem to have granola on their minds.