"Just as there are tea drinkers who sing praises of different teas, their origins and preparations, there are coffee drinkers doing the same."


Specialty coffee refers to high-quality coffee that is produced under specific conditions, emphasizing exceptional flavor, aroma, and overall experience. This category of coffee is almost always coffea arabica, typically sourced from single-origin farms or specific regions (YIrgacheffe and Yemenia for example) known for their unique coffee profiles, and it often undergoes meticulous processing methods to highlight these characteristics. The Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) defines specialty coffee as any coffee that scores 80 points or above on a 100-point scale, based on a rigorous evaluation of attributes such as acidity, sweetness, body, and aftertaste. This commitment to quality extends beyond just the bean; it encompasses the entire journey from farm to cup, including sustainable farming practices, ethical sourcing, and transparent trade relationships.

The rise of specialty coffee has transformed the coffee culture globally, fostering a deeper appreciation for the craft of coffee brewing and the nuances of flavor. Coffee shops dedicated to specialty brews often employ skilled baristas who utilize various brewing methods, such as pour-over, siphon, or espresso, to bring out the best in each batch. Additionally, these establishments frequently engage in educational initiatives, offering tastings and workshops that help consumers understand the origins and intricacies of their coffee. As a result, specialty coffee has become more than just a beverage; it represents a community of coffee enthusiasts who value quality, craftsmanship, and the stories behind each cup.

Specialty drinkers are the wine snobs of the coffee world. They can bore you with details of species, varietals, country of orgin and whatnot. They will talk for hours about the character of the drink, the flavour profile, the mouthfeel, the scent notes. They're looking for more than the 'standard' coffee taste, they expect fruity, floral flavours. They understand the different processing methods and how they contribute to the character of the cup;they're the ones picking deformed beans out before they grind; we aren't just drinking bitter, dark roasted Starbucks shit, we want something more, and that comes from specialty coffees.

Yes, I am an unrepentant and opinionated coffee snob.






$ xclip -o | wc -w
343