US nonprofit for at-risk LGBTQ youth


"LGBTQ youth are not inherently prone to suicide risk because of their sexual orientation or gender identity but rather placed at higher risk because of how they are mistreated and stigmatized in society."
https://www.thetrevorproject.org/


Phone: 1-866-488-7386
SMS Text ‘START’ to 678-678

The Trevor Project grew out of the 1994 short film Trevor, about a young gay boy who attempts suicide following his being rejected by his friends. After the film was scheduled to air on HBO in 1998, the creators of the film realised how little support there was for vulnerable youth in the film's audience. They decided to launch a helpline to provide round-the-clock support for LGBTQ youth (meaning those under 25) who were in crisis, struggling with identity issues or facing bullying and rejection from family, school or peer group.

Funding initially came from the Colin Higgins Foundation, and with that and the HBO licence fee they trained people to become counsellors and launched the helpline, and it grew quickly over time as it gained both publicity and financial support from many people and organisations.

They've been successful in many areas, and launched not only a phone helpline, but support through online chat, SMS/phone text and even their own social networking site.

Their goal is simple: non-judgemental listening, support and advice. They can give referrals to local support and guidance. They help young people in creating safe places. There's even a feature on their website to allow visitors to quickly exit, rather like a boss key. "Quick Exit: Press the ESC button three times to quickly leave our site". They know their clients, and what they're facing daily, and they've thought carefully about it.

They're involved in outreach too, in schools and other organisations throughout the country. They hold annual events "to honor individuals and businesses that have been leaders in supporting LGBT rights and advocated against bullying and hate crimes".

The Trevor Hero Award is given to people who have served to inspire young people through example or action. Recipients include Daniel Radcliffe, Lady Gaga, Susan Sarandon, Arianna Huffington and Ian McKellen. The Trevor Youth Innovator Award is given to young people who have worked "to support, inspire, and empower LGBTQ youth".


Their website is a wonderful resource for everyone, including advice for visitors on how to cope, exercises to calm and soothe, and above all, answering questions on diverse topics from gender and sexuality through to asking care of their own mental health and well-being. They help people explore diversity, and provide educational support for those allies with LGBTQ youth in their lives.




The film
Wikipedia article


Personal note: I am a heterosexual cis-male but I've long sought to understand those who were "other". In 1967, same-sex acts between men were decriminalised in the UK. I was eleven. My father was outraged, my response was "who cares, who's getting hurt?" I guess I've been an "ally" ever since, and I'm happy that others have worked toward the same goal. In my close friends now I count people across the gender and sexuality spectrum and I am richer for it. I have since written about my journey of discovery, and my philosophy on gender and sexuality issues.

Oh, and somebody please review the film!