Delhi spreads over an area of more than 1400 sq. kms and is the centre of Administration of the Goverment of India. The total urban population of Delhi exceeds 10 million and the principal langauge is Hindi. Delhi was built and destroyed seven times and a large number of rulers have reigned over it. There have been at least eight cities around modern Delhi, and the old saying that 'whoever founds a new city at Delhi will lose it' has come true every time. The British who founded 'New Delhi' were the last.

The Mahabharata says, the city of Indraprastha (the old name of Delhi) was built in 1400 BC under the direction of Yudhisthira. After centuries of being under the rule of Hindu emperors, Delhi was captured by Ala-ud Din Kilji in the 13th century. Delhi was invaded by Tartar rulers in the 14th century, after which it was under ruin for one century. The Mughal rule in Delhi was established in 1526 when Babar conqured Delhi and made it his capital. The next were the British.

Delhi was the focal point for the Indian independence struggle.The phrase 'Dilli Chalo' (Move to Delhi) is very famous and is still used by political leaders when they oraganise any rallies.

Monuments in Delhi are splendid illustrations of the Indian Architecture of the Mughal era.

The Red Fort, the India Gate, and the Qutab Minar are all places of historical importance and worth seeing in Delhi.


Old Delhi was the capital of India between 17th and 19th centuries. There are a large number of mosques and other monuments of India's Muslim history in Delhi.

New Delhi was constructed by the British as the Capital of India in 1911. The administrative buildings in New Delhi such as the Parliament House, Rashtrapati Bhavan, India Gate, Connaught Place were constructed following the visions of the renowned architect Lutyens.



Refernces:

www.delhicity.net
www.delhitourism.com
ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/asimz/dhistory.htm
http://www.mcdonline.gov.in/mcd/history.jsp