A couple of small caveats regarding Civ III. It's a very good game, and a substantial evolution from Civ II (or indeed any of the kingdom simulations).

But there are still a few things that annoy me.

Apparently you cannot trade strategic resources, only luxuries. This is contrary to both history and common sense, and presumably would not be terribly difficult to add to the game.

I have also found out that bombardment attacks (and thus units like catapults, bombers, and battleships) are quite worthless. Your battleship may look pretty, but about all it's likely to do is destroy libraries. Troops might be lightly wounded, but will heal instantly.

I also would have liked to see at least a limited amount of future technology, if only to add a certain amount of spice to the end game. But I can see why they didn't want to go the Call to Power route either, where the whole first 8 hours is building up to the war walkers and fusion tanks.

Things that are very good:


Apparently I was wrong about trading strategic resources. I guess they just have to understand what all the fuss about iron or saltpeter is for. Guess that just goes to show that having a crushing technology lead in chieftan mode isn't all it's cracked up to be.