Bride of Chucky (1998) - Weasello Rating: {>>>>} (YOW) {{ Prequel }}
Please note that this review is laden with spoilers.

Currently the final movie in the Child's Play series, this movie looked like the best one of the bunch... This movie is the reason why I watched the entire series to start with. How can someone not want to see a movie with a tagline like "Chucky gets Lucky!"?

Let's see how it stacked up to it's predecessors.

Body count: 7 males and 2 females... Three if you count Chucky's Bride. For the purposes of this writeup, I will count that as a death. That brings it up to a nice and even 10!

Chucky's Injury Tally: Chucky was tossed around quite a bit while he was in doll-mode (just hanging limp). As for real injuries, he was punched in the face, imitation-anally raped, kicked in the head, punched again, kicked out of the window of a moving RV, stabbed in the gut with a knife, hit with a shovel several times, and then he walked into a wall on his own accord. To finish him off, he was shot 6 times while he stumbled backwards into his own coffin.

As for the Bride of Chucky, she didn't take too much damage - several shovel hits, roasted in an oven, and tossed around a lot. She was finally stabbed in the chest, and proceeded to have a baby burst out of her.

Plot Outline: In this, the "final" movie in Chucky's reign, we depart from the normal let's-chase-Andy theme. That poor kid is finally spared. Now, Chucky was locked up in a storage locker for 10 years in a Police Evidence Room. His girlfriend tracks him down and pays off a police officer to free him.

Why? Easy. Long ago, the night when Charles Lee Ray (Chucky's real name) was killed for the first time, he left a ring on the night table. When his girlfriend wakes up and sees the ring, she thinks Chucky was going to propose to her. Ten years passed (maybe more) and she's still obsessing and in love with him.

Unfortunately, Chucky stole that ring from some old woman and was going to pawn it off for some cash. He had no intentions of marrying his girlfriend! This pisses her off so much that she locks Chucky up in a playpen and leaves him there with a Bride doll to mock him.

This angers Chucky.

So he uses his Voodoo magic to transfer his girlfriend's soul into the bride doll, much as he did to himself back in the first movie. The two are now forced to work together to retrieve an amulet that was buried with Charles Lee Ray's body... Using this amulet, they can transfer their souls back into humans.

Unfortunately, neither Chucky nor his bride are able to drive so they hijack a few kids... And the murder spree begins.

The movie ends with the Son of Chucky bursting from his dead girlfriend's womb. Joy!

My Opinion: This movie was laden with inside jokes based on other movies in the series, one-liners, and otherwise hilarious dialogue. This series of movies has gone far, far away from suspense and is now bordering on a straight comedy flick. I had a great time watching this movie, and I laughed myself silly in most scenes.

You should definitely watch this movie. Seeing the others in the series is not necessary.

Interesting Notes:
  • The book featured in this film, "Voodoo for Dummies," apparantly actually exists. I am shocked and suprised.
  • The dolls smoke Marijuana in this movie. I can't think of something funny or witty to say to that.
  • This is the first horror movie I have seen that has a gay character. Sure he is hit by a truck and explodes into a mazillion pieces, but oh well.
  • This is the first movie of the series to have a "soundtrack." Sure, each of the other movies had standard horror music - you know, variations on the same piano theme that opened the movie, along with "BUM BUM!" anytime something scary happens. In this movie, however, there are such songs as "Living Dead Girl" by Rob Zombie and other great hits.
  • Near the beginning of the movie, you can see Jason's mask, Freddy's glove, and a chainsaw.
  • This is the first of the Child's Play series to be filmed in Canada (though only partially).
Fun Quotes!
  • "I wouldn't marry you if you had the body of G.I. Joe!" - Bride of Chucky
  • "Barbie, eat your heart out!" - Bride of Chucky
  • "Eugh.. You have a face that only a mother could love..." - Random woman
    "Hi, my name's Chucky, and I wouldn't talk if I were you." - Chucky
  • "Hmm, we seem to be turning human... I wonder if all the plumbing works." - Bride
    "Well I don't know about you, but I'm starting to feel like Pinnochio here. Did you know that I am anatomically correct?" - Chucky
    "Oooh.. Do you have a rubber?" - Bride
    "Babe! Look at me - I'm ALL rubber!" - Chucky
    "But... I thought you were plastic?" - Bride
  • (after Bride smashes some plates on the floor) "What would Martha Stewart say?" - Chucky
  • "How did you get into the body of a doll?!" - Boy
    "It's a very long story... So long, in fact, that if it were a movie, it would take three or four sequels to do it justice!" - Chucky
Lead roles: Directed by: Ronny Yu

Writing credits: Don Mancini (I)

Filmed In: Los Angeles, California, Brampton, Ontario, Pickering, Ontario, and Toronto, Ontario.

Tagline: Chucky gets Lucky!
Sources: The oh-so-wonderful IMDB, my head, and the box.