If you have not seen the Silence of the Lambs and want to be surprised when you do, do not read this write up. That is all.

The serial killer who is the focus of the movie and book the Silence of the Lambs. Very little is known about Bill until the FBI enlists the aide of Hannibal Lecter. Bill had been a patient of Lecter's and therefore Lecter could use his razor sharp intellect to interpolate Bill's patterns and methods. When first asked for Bill's real name, Lecter gives the name Louis Friend which is actually an anagram for Iron Sulfide, or Fool's Gold. Bill's real name is Jame Gumb and he is eventually tracked down by Clarece Starling's investigative methods (which were moulded by Hannibal).

Buffalo Bill kidnaps women who are overweight (Lecter: "Was she a big girl? Roomy through the hips?") He is very specific, first he'll knock the victim out and cut off her clothing in order to see if it is the right size. He does because his ultimate purpose is removing their skin and making a woman suit out of it. See, Gumb thinks he is a transexual, as Lecter said, but he isn't really. He applied for sex reassignment at one or all of the major hospitals which offer that surgery and was rejected on the basis of psychological instability rooted in an extremely violent childhood. He has a fetish for insects, he stuffs the cocoons of Death's Head moths down the throats of his victims. These symbolize the metamorphisis he is making. One of the most disturbing scenes from the movie is where Bill is putting on make up in an extreme close up and is then revealed, nude, with a cap of women's scalps on his head and dances with his penis tucked between his legs.

Quotes

Speaking to a girl he has held captive in a pit: "It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does so when its told. (pause) It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again. (pause, the girl still does not comply) Rub the FUCKING lotion on your skin!"

Speaking into a mirror: "Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me."