mr100percent's write up above does a pretty good job of explaining that Muslim heaven is not just about hedonism. While I appreciate his efforts, I think the vast majority of Muslims are more excited by descriptions of the carnal pleasures than anything else, going by the sheepish "heh heh hehs" that accompany any sermon focusing on that. There was a preacher in Kano who had a famous sermon that was about him playing with the big boobed chicks in Jannah, or ordering alcohol or eating pork and other things that Muslims are not supposed to do here (except for the big boobed bit. That is allowed, provided you are married).

One time in my teens, at a madrassah (which just means school, though we call them Islamiyyahs here), the teacher (mua'allim in Arabic, malam in Hausa) said "in jannah, nothing is forbidden", so I raised my hand and when acknowledged, I asked "even anal sex?" The shock and disgust on the man's face, the way everyone in the class turned to look at me petrified me. While I had a reputation for being a bit radical, I realized that question was a bit too much.

The word for sodomy in Arabic is لواط pronounced liwad. In Hausa, the word is ludu. They sound a bit similar to Lot which is لوط, pronounced loot in Arabic. The prophet's name is homonymous with the Hausa name for the act. I have never met, nor heard of a Muslim named Lut. While I have never asked, I imagine the unpopularity of the name is due to that similarity in pronunciation.

Anyway, the teacher who would have given me a thrashing if I were younger asked why I would ask such a question. I apologized because I was young and had exhausted my stock of confidence for that day. Now, I wish had had the balls to argue it out with him and ask why the revulsion? If nothing is forbidden in heaven, then the revulsion at anal is a response that was conditioned by religious laws which are arbitrary. Thus, since the forbidden nature of wine in this world makes the faithful anticipate consuming it there, the same expectation should apply to other forbidden acts.

Regardless, I think Muslim heaven would be a lot of fun. And it can be argued that its nature, focusing on water, lush vegetation and a cornucopia of pleasures is a reflection of its society's ideal of what is most desirable. I would like to have a unifying theory explaining how the nature of a culture determines its idea of the afterlife but considering that Judaism, the religion most similar to Islam lacks such a view of heaven, I would have to be content with just classing it with the other oddities all religions have.

Iron Noder 2020, 9/30