The Red Dwarf (Le Nain Rouge)

1999 (Directed by: Yvon Le Moine)
Do not confuse this with the television series Red Dwarf

A touching art film revolving around a dwarf named Monsieur L'Hotte who feels he should be treated as fair as everyone else, regardless of his size. The unfortunate character ventures through many scenarios of humility and (unnecessary) pity upon him by others. This tension builds up until L'Hotte finally loses all hope in defending himself from the unfair and unwarranted attention. Monsieur L'Hotte eventually "snaps" and drops his job. Caring nothing for his own feelings (or his well-being), he decides to join a circus as a sideshow attraction. This is intended to represent his surrender of any hope and acceptance of what people think of him as. As the film continues, the apathy of L'Hotte begins to manifest greatly.

Monsieur L'Hotte develops a loving friendship with a young girl named Isis, whose father owns the circus. The young Isis does not judge him for physical appearances and accepts him for the larger man that is hidden "inside". This budding connection allows him to retain what remaining sanity exists, as well as help him build his morale back up. The rest of this film is left to you, the potential viewer...

The film is in black and white and is a French release (retaining the French language and using English subtitles). The independent theme is immediately felt along with side hints of film nóir. This is an Official Collection of the Director's Fortnight: Cannes Film Festival.

If you enjoy this film, I personally recommend: Brazil and The City of Lost Children.