I think, on the way to the university library, that I should quit my job. It seems wrong to be paid with state tax dollars to do work that doesn't benefit the public in any conceivable way. Plus, it's really boring, unsatisfying work. I spend half the time sitting on my ass. Most of my co-workers have personalities that clash with mine.

I need a job where I my only income comes from people paying me to do them a service. Upon reflection, I realize that this idea comes from the state of affairs in my house, where my roommate (complete pothead) buys all the sacks, and I compensate for the smaller amount of the ganja that I consume by performing tasks like rolling J's, and computing the amount of rent that each of us owes (based on how much the phone and electric bills were that month, since each of us is responsible for one of these).

Microeconomies that have illegal infrastructures (drug distribution, bootlegging, illegal weapons) breed efficient systems that everyone is happy with much more often than goods/services systems that the government considers legitimate. If I want to sell, say, CDs, then I have to pay for a wholesale retailer's license as well as overhead for the store (no selling on the street, or in a residential zone like my house), which means I have to make much more profit than I would just to pay my personal bills. So I need to get a broader customer base, so I have to pay to advertise my business (and I have to make even more money to pay for this!), and eventually I'll start needing other employees or accountants or lawyers...