(pronounced sma:la:hovve) means sheep's head
in the old norse language
is considered a delicacy
, and is usually consumed
with lots and lots of alcohol
To make smalahove, you'll need:
- Using a gas flame, burn the head so the skin turns into a charred crust. You may get pre-charred heads.
- Split the head in two (between the eyes) so that each half has an eye and an ear. You may get pre-split heads in a decent(?) shop.
- Cook the head in your oven.
- Serve with potatoes, carrots and lots and lots of alcohol.
- Eat the eyes first, then the ears and the other fat parts, before the fat cools down.