The Heckler & Koch G3, "Gewehr 3" (or "Rifle 3") fires the 7.62x51 mm NATO cartridge.

My experience with the rifle comes from the Kongsberg Arms Factory's license version AG3.

Vital facts:

  • Length: 1002 mm
  • Weight: 4.47 kg w/o magazine (add 630 grams for a magazine and 20 cartridges)
  • Length between rear and front sight: 575 mm
  • Magazine capacity: 20 / 30 / 50 rounds

The G3 is a rather large and heavy construction, mainly because it's recoil operated rather than gas operated like the M-16 or AK-74.

It has two firing modes, semi automatic and fully automatic, but -- at least in the Norwegian Army -- we only use the semi automatic mode. The 7.62x51 mm cartridge produces quite a kick, so it's relatively hard to hit anything smaller than a barn at a 50 feet distance. The size and weight of the cartridge limits the number of rounds you can carry, so instead of applying the good ol' spray and pay tactic, you'll have to take your time and aim well.

The G3 field strips down to 14 parts in just under 30 seconds. Assembly usually takes around a minute.

A retractable stock is available, which makes the rifle a bit more practical to carry around in cramped space, but this adds a little more weight to it.

In my opinion, the G3 is an excellent rifle, it looks threatening and just keeps firing under any condition. The main drawback is the weight and the fact that the 7.62x51 mm cartridge is a tad too powerful for modern day close combat. OK, you can put a bullet through a concrete wall with it, but I'd rather carry 50 or 100 more 5.56x45 mm cartridges at the same weight!