Some sketches to clarify the starting positions in each of the three Tavli games. In each one I have drawn the position of the counters. Outside the board, I have drawn the point that is considered "point 1" for each player, and the direction to which counters move. In all cases, the area where you must gather all your counters in order to begin collecting them is the one across "point 1".

Portes:

  Opponent(O)
         <-- X 
+------+------+
|X   O |O    X|
|X   O |O    X|
|X   O |O     |
|X     |O     |
|X     |O     |
|      |      |
+------+------+
|      |      |
|O     |X     |
|O     |X     |
|O   X |X     |
|O   X |X    O|
|O   X |X    O|
+------+------+
         <-- O
     Me(X)

Plakoto:

  Opponent(O)
         <-- O
+------+------+
|      |     O|
|      |     O|
|      |      |
|      |      |
|      |      |
|      |      |
+------+------+
|      |      |
|      |      |
|      |      |
|      |      |
|      |     X|
|      |     X|
+------+------+
         <-- X
     Me(X)

Fevga:

  Opponent(O)
         <-- X
+------+------+
|      |     X|
|      |      |
|      |      |
|      |      |
|      |      |
|      |      |
+------+------+
|      |      |
|      |      |
|      |      |
|      |      |
|      |      |
|O     |      |
+------+------+
 O -->
     Me(X)

Note that in Plakoto and Fevga, the initial layout of the board with the stones in starting position may be the above sketch mirrored about the vertical axis (indeed, looking at it from the opponents' view, it's mirrored). In any case, one player rotates the pieces clockwise and the other counterclockwise (which often confuses inexperienced players).

In Plakoto and Fevga, all counters are considered to start from point 1 (not point 0 in Fevga as stated in the original node), but players usually put two counters on the board for Plakoto and one for Fevga and keep the rest in their hands.

Another rule of Fevga is that the first counter must proceed at least 13 positions (beyond the opponents' point 1) before the player can move another counter. Which means that (considering opponents' point 1 is initially occupied by his counters), the only die that can achieve this in one move is fives.

Exaporto

Exaporto (meaning six-door) in Greek is an important game technique. It is what happens when a player manages to own six consecutive positions on the board, creating a wall that can't be bypassed by the opponent's counter whatever the dice roll. According to the rules as stated in the original node, this takes 12 counters in Portes and Plakoto but only 6 in Fevga (as a single counter owns a position). Making an exaporto means that you can do whatever you want with the counters "behind" it, and also you can delay the opponent's moves for as long as you can maintain it. The technique is especially used in Fevga, as it can be achieved more easily in this game.