Frontline Nazi fighterplane in World War II, manufactured by Messerschmitt. Its versatility allowed it to see action in a number of fronts and campaigns during the war—the Russian and North African fronts, the Invasion of France and the Battle of Britain.

Earlier versions of the 109 were also used during the Spanish Civil War, which preceded the 2nd World War by roughly a decade. Spanish-built Messerschmitts continued to be produced after the war by Casa as the Ha-1112, but instead of the German inverted Diamler-Benz powerplant, it was powered by the liquid-cooled Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, similar to the one that powered the famous North-American P-51 Mustang.

With some irony, the early Israeli Airforce used Avia S199's, the Czech variant of the Bf-109, to fight the Egyptians during Israel's War of Independence.

Some trivia:

The Bf-109 was also known as the Me-109. The Bf designation stood for Bayerische Flugzeugwerke, which was the name of the company before Willy Messerschmitt took over. Even though the company changed hands, both the Me- and the Bf- designations were used until the end of the war.

The world's greatest fighter ace, Erich Hartmann, flew a Bf-109 on the Eastern front for the large part of the campaign against the Russians. By the war's end, he earned 352 kills which included, for the most part obsolete Russian fighters, and a handful of American fighters, and earned the nickname the "Black Devil of the Ukraine" by the Russians.