(Note: this w/u was originally under the title "hacking AIM".)

Hacking the AIM profile for Windows

AIM uses pseudo-HTML to store profile and chat information.
The AIM profile is stored in a file locally, usually found at c:\windows\aim95\(user name)\info.htm.
A neat thing you can do to the link tag is adding the target="_self" attribute, for example,
<A HREF="http://www.everything2.com" target="_self"> which would load e2 frontpage inside your profile window when someone clicks on this link. However, AIM doesn't support table tags, amongst many other tags. So you might want to link it to a special AIM profile extension page on your homepage.
This circumvents the file size limitation that AIM imposes on the info.htm file. Then you can have multitudes of pages about random stuff you might think your friends would find entertaining that all conveniently loads within the profile window.

Removing AIM ad banners for Windows

If you go to the directory usually located at c:\program files\aim95\, you will find files named aim.odl and advert.ocm. When you have closed AIM, delete advert.ocm, and open aim.odl in a text editor. Comment out any lines with the word "advert" in them by typing a semicolon in front of each of those lines, save and close the file, then reboot AIM.