From their website: gift.sf.net (or www.giftproject.com)

giFT, general interface to FastTrack (or giFT isn't FastTrack) is a client that uses the Kazaa/Morpheus/Grokster peer-to-peer file sharing network. It is intended to be used under Linux.

The FastTrack network (http://www.fasttrack.nu/) is a peer-to-peer network for sharing files. It provides search facilities and has a 2 level hierarchical scheme for organizing peers.

Being a peer-to-peer network, there is no central server during normal operation. All communication is done between peers. However, three companies which have written software clients to the FastTrack network (Morpheus, KaZaA, Grokster) each do in fact have their own central server, that deals with (1) registration/login, (2) sending advertisements, and (3) informing your client where to find peers on the FastTrack network.

This program, giFT, is the generic interface to FastTrack. It is intended to be interoperable with existing clients, and to speak a protocol compatible with that of the FastTrack network in order to communicate with peers. This program's reason for existing is as a compatible, interoperable, open source, Linux-based peer for the network.

Unlike the existing clients, giFT rarely uses a central server. It does not require registrations or logins, and is not trying to show users advertisements. The issue of locating network peers is discussed later on. In particular, giFT does not contact the Morpheus, KaZaA, or Grokster central servers at all.

giFT is Open Source.


At the moment I write this, giFT is being blocked by the new KaZaA / Morpheus clients.

giFT isn't FastTrack, so eventually there's going to be a whole new p2p network attached to it.

There is also an irc channel: #gift @ irc.sf.net