Throughout Britain it is the custom of many to visit their local Indian Restaurant of a Saturday night. There they will eagerly place their order for a Chicken Tikka Masala and will be content with a portion of pilau rice and a nan bread freshly baked from the tandoor.

Not so in South Wales. The Welsh regard no meal as complete unless it includes a portion of fried potatoes, but are prepared to make some sort of compromise when faced with the exotic cuisine of the Indian sub-continent. The average Welshman will politely, or not so politely depending on the quantity of alcohol he has imbibed at that point in time, state that he will have "half and half with that". By which he (or indeed she) is expressing the desire to be served with half a portion of rice and half a portion of chips.

The better sort of Indian Restaurant will tend to decline such a request, explaining that they do not "do half and half". The average Welshman will therefore be forced to order a separate portion of chips in order to satisfy his dietary requirements.

The simple fact is that the welsh love chips, and even in the wilds of Cardiganshire you will find Chinese takeaways that will automatically include a bag of chips in whatever meal you order, and where they will gaze upon you with bewilderment should you ask them not to do so.