This concern of the US-Centricness on Everything is, to me, rather like the weather announcer I once saw on a Chicago super-station:

He was giving a weather report--for the entire U.S.A.--but speaking about it as if it were just his own neighbourhood: New Orleans down the street; Los Angeles downtown; New York around the corner.

Technology always eliminates time and space--think of steam engines moving trains, jets moving us now, the telegraph, then telephone, radio, and now internet. But, our technology is not separate from us, or our hopes, wishes, beliefs, prejudices, aspirations, and fears. Technology is not the remedy for problems caused by technology.

Americans have always tended to be chauvinistic, and unable to accept, or even to tolerate, sometimes, the way other people think and act. (See, for example, Why do Americans persist in misusing the word liberal?, or the debates on gun control)

Americans, in general, are unable to see their own culture as a national culture; they see it as a universal culture. Everything is a clear demonstration of this.

Americans, knowingly, or unknowingly (I think I hope the former), are compelled to turn the world into a melting pot, when, in reality, it is a vertical mosaic.


Regarding blowdart's comment on copyright laws: In Canada the protection is at least 20 years less--see How Long Copyright Protection Endures.