In search of the top of the Eiffel Tower

Last night, I was with someone (I don't even remember who) on the top of the Eiffel Tower. As a matter of fact, I have never been to the top of the Eiffel Tower although I have been living in Paris for eight years.

We were standing on the highest level accessible to the public, but I knew that there was a secret level above. So we started a fantastic journey.

First we passed over a fence, and walked up a kind of road. Don't ask me how it is possible to find a road at the top of the Eiffel Tower.

So we walked for a while, and got to the top of a mountain. However, that was not the top of the tower yet. We had to walk down into the valley, then climb up the opposite side of the mountain. So we did that, and it took a long time. Sometimes we had to climb rocks, and that was not easy. I always thought we were going to find the top of the tower real soon now.

Eventually, somehow I was below a trap door. I opened it, and I happened to be in a university in the 13th district of Paris. And I was still looking for the top of the Eiffel Tower, although the tower stands in the 7th district.

Then I woke up, so I'll never know where the top of the Eiffel Tower actually is.

Mountain walks when I was a child, the fact that I live in the 13th district and passed an exam in a university a few weeks ago (in another district) and a fantastic short story by Dino Buzzati about the Eiffel Tower, that I read many years ago and never thought about it afterwards, can probably be accounted for some of the details, but the whole thing remains a mystery to me.