I composed a nasty flame, intended for an old friend.

My friend's truth seemed twisted, designed to hurt, to be the worst-- maybe to provoke my reaction. I was feeling angry. My friend's writings had worked on me.

I'd been thinking I want to keep this friend, and then I was wavering. We'd known each other for many years; we both knew buttons to push. I thought about all the problems people run into in life, and how we all get our share. I knew people should not shift blame to other people, and sometimes there's an overload, and people dump it on you.

I felt on the receiving end of other's problems. It seemed one-way. It was not a nice feeling. Anyway, I wrote my flame, printed it, and felt satisfied. I felt it would be devastating, with nastily tailored details.

I finally decided not to send it, and took the printed flame outside and set it on fire! Watching the flaming paper burn away, feeling that heat, produced a magical catharsis.

Possibly there is magic that may resolve friendships?

Knowing people well involves a lot of water under the bridge, and knowing which buttons to push for different effects.

Sometimes people go for effect, sometimes for affect. I think I'd like to keep my old friend.

-

"Crimson flames tied through my ears..."-- Bob Dylan

"Life is very short ... We can work it out."--Lennon/McCartney