Ok. Ultra yummy Pilau rice thingy. You will need.

(Serves 4)

2 cups of Basmati Rice
4 1/2 cups of Water
Knob of ghee (or butter)
1 large Bay leaf
8 cardamom pods
8 cloves
1 piece of cassia bark (optional)
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of turmeric powder

Wash the rice until the water runs more or less clear. Now, get yourself a large heavy pan (so that it will be about half full when we put the rice and water in it), and melt the ghee or butter over a low heat (be careful not to burn the butter). Now, throw in everything except the rice and the water. Stir this little mixture, making sure that all the turmeric powder is mixed into the butter. Let it sizzle very gently for about a minute. Now chuck in the rice, and stir enthusiastically until the rice is very well coated with the butter (it should all go kind of orange from the turmeric). Pour in the water, turn up the heat, place the lid on the pan and leave to cook for about 15 minutes or so. The rice is done once all the water has been absorbed (but don't take the lid off the check too often, and don't stir). When the rice is done, remove from the heat and leave to stand (with the lid still on) for 5-10 mins. Serve with some kind of Indian thing (or a Thai red curry, or something).

By the way, when you serve this you might want to remove the cardamom pods and the cloves, because they taste nasty if you eat them. At the very least you should warn your guests that something unpleasant is lurking in their food.