When Lucid Dreams Attack!

For some reason, I don't get nearly as many lucid dreams as I used to. I love lucid dreams, but it's at most an every few weeks thing now. Well, earlier this afternoon, I was having the best lucid dream I've had in a long while.

In the dream, I was at my friend's apartment. He wasn't around, but a few other friends were. Not only did I know I was dreaming, I could control everything. I could change the environment at will. I could fly. I could walk through walls (one of my flights gained a little too much momentum, and I didn't really want to crash and hurt myself; so goes dream logic). I even thought about the dream. I'd be talking, and I wondered whether I was mumbling in my sleep. I'd be moving around, and I wondered whether someone standing over me in reality could see me kicking. A couple of times, things got a little too intense, and I backed off so as not to wake myself up. It was great, I was having a blast.

Then, the worst possible thing happened. The alarm went off. The delicate balance of the dream world was destroyed. I went back to sleep for a while, and kept dreaming, but (and this is the really wierd part): I could notice my lucid awareness gradually escaping me. I wasn't even thinking about changing scenery anymore. When I pushed off to try to fly, I twisted my ankle, and it hurt. What the fuck is that all about? After a couple more painful attempts at flight I gave it up altogether. Slowly but surely, my lucid dream became a regular dream, and after a while, it was the familiar feeling of thinking that I was in reality, when I was actually asleep.

Oh well. So it goes. I guess I'll just have to do some hardcore napping, and hope that I can get some more really good lucid dreaming.