Ancient Brassieres of India

I was looking for a topic both exotic and stimulating for a new node that would attract attention. I think that this might be it. Some research was required to determine dates. There's not much material, but here it is.

The great majority of female figures in ancient Indian sculpture have bare breasts, but there is evidence to indicate that in some instances the women wore brassieres. The first historical reference to brassieres in India is found during the reign of king Harshavardhana (1st century) in Kashmir. The half-sleeved tight bodice or kanchuka figures prominently in the literature of the period. From Basavapurana (1237 A.D.), we learn that kanchukas were worn by young girls as well. One text mentions an aged harlot who used a special blouse to hold up her drooping breasts. Tailored brassieres were popular during the Vijayanagar period, 14th century. The Leelavati Prabhanda mentions a kind of brassier prevalent in 10th century. In a medieval sculpture from Karnataka (south-western India), a brassiere is sculpted around a deity that appears to have been made up of thick cotton. Regularly sewn brassieres of cup-like shape are also found. some others appear to be propped up by ornaments.

Source: http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/ancient/wonderbra.htm