Der Zauberberg (1924) ( = Magic Mountain) by Thomas Mann

The novel is a typical Bildüngsroman ( = a novel about the moral and psychological growth of the main character) in which Hans Castorp , a naive and impressionable young man, visits his tubercular cousin Joachim at a sanatorium in the Swiss Alps. During his visit he is diagnosed as having the disease and stays on the magic mountain for a number of years.

As might be expected, he meets a number of patients who have widely differing politics and philosophy. Isolated from the world in an environment of sickness and decay he is compelled to examine the meaning of love and death and how they may influence one another. In the process he attempts to find a pattern that will emerge from his discussions with his companions, and from his own musings. Considering World War I that is to follow, the most poignant moment is when Naphta, a Jewish-born Jesuit, defends the use of terror and murder for the sake of an all-encompassing idea. Eventually Castorp leaves the sanatorium and Switzerland to return to Germany to fight in the war that breaks out.

The style of the work might be called turgid when compared with the realism of modern works in the English language. Still, Mann eloquently captures the spirit of the time. To immerse oneself in the Magic Mountain is to breathe the air of the Swiss mountains, to sense the doom hanging over the patients of the sanatorium, to struggle with the contradictions of any age.