After Alien Dreamtime

After an evening watching a Terence McKenna lecture video, listening to a McKenna spoken word performance from a rave and generally discussing the amazing intellect, articulacy, and prophet-like futurist visions of this incredible man, I lay down to sleep and inevitably dreamt of dear Terence.

  • We're sitting on a picnic table near some anonymous office building. The weather is warm and the breeze wafts fragrance from the flower beds nearby. We discuss, of course, the near future. I tell Terence that I've heard the many angles and interpretations he's suggested for what will happen December 21, 2012, but I want to know truly what he believes the subjective experience of the eschaton will feel like. Will we all go into hyperspace at once or will it be a gradual apocalypse? Terence eyes me calmly with his halcyon gaze and takes another drag on the joint before passing it to me and answering.

    "Patience, son. Use your imagination and dream up a thousand fantastic scenarios for mass Enlightenment, for time travel, hyperspatial breakthrough, cosmic consciousness and ultra-intelligence. Dream and dream, but keep in mind that the real thing will be infinitely more transcendental. We are on the edge of the unthinkable. The only thing that can be predicted with certainty is that prediction will fail. In the meantime, enjoy these last few years--whistle, smile and laugh your way into eternity."

    I take a long drag and pass the joint back to Terence. We sit in silence, enjoying the sun and the music of wind through the trees. I think, "It's going to be a beautiful day."